Emergency Financial Assistance

programs4The Emergency Financial Assistance program is designed to empower clients so they can achieve and maintain a positive quality of life by providing need-based short-term financial assistance. This includes:

  • Housing assistance to prevent eviction.
  • Aid with utilities to avoid disconnection of electricity, water, and gas.
  • Subsidies for non-prescription wellness items including anti-nausea medications, nutritional supplements, and incontinency supplies.

Alliance’s HOPWA Central Coordinating Agency (CCA) currently works with pre-approved housing specialists from local, predesignated community-based organizations serving impoverished persons living with HIV/AIDS to obtain housing-related financial assistance for their eligible clients. The HOPWA Central Coordinating agency (located at our Eagle Rock Office) coordinates and processes applications on a county-wide basis for Permanent Housing Placement (PHP), Short-Term Rental, Mortgage and Utility Assistance (STRMU), Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH) and Tenant-Based Rental Assistance (TBRA) grants.


Ryan White Program

The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, Division of HIV and STD Programs’ (DHSP) Emergency Financial Assistance provides limited one-time or short-term financial assistance to People Living With HIV (PLWH) who are experiencing a financial hardship. The purpose of the Emergency Financial Assistance is to ensure clients can pay for critical services that play a role on whether a client is able to stay engaged in medical care and/or adhere to treatment.


Eligible clients may access up to $5,000 in assistance in a twelve (12) month period and can access it all at once or in increments. Assistance will be available in the form of move-in assistance, including security deposit and first month’s rent; short-term rental assistance; utilities, including electricity, gas, water, internet and cellphone service; emergency food; transportation; and medication assistance.



Eligible clients for these services must:

• Be 18 years of age or older;

• Have an HIV or AIDS diagnosis

• Be a resident of Los Angeles County; and

• Have an income at or below 500% Federal Poverty Level (FPL)